On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Vincent Lextrait
<vincent.lextr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All is good with the master and brew's gcc-7.2.0:
>
> /usr/local/bin/g++-7 -DNDEBUG -g2 -O3 -fPIC -Wa,-q
> -DCRYPTOPP_CLANG_INTEGRATED_ASSEMBLER=1 -pthread -pipe -c integer.cpp
>

> Not so good with gcc-7.1.0 built by myself:
>
> /usr/local/gcc/7.1.0/bin/g++-7.1 -DNDEBUG -g2 -O3 -fPIC -pthread -pipe -c
> integer.cpp
>
> integer.cpp:672:29: error: unknown token in expression
>
>         .intel_syntax noprefix;neg %rcx;jz 1f;mov %rax, [%rdx+8*%rcx];add
> %rax, [%r8+8*%rcx];mov [%rsi+8*%rcx], %rax;

That's probably due to the compiler branding (or lack thereof). I'm
guessing its the standard GCC label (and not something clever like
"Vincent's GCC 7.2").

I think we have two options. First, we require users with non-branded
compilers to manually add the options. This is what you have to do at
the moment.

Second, we pick a GCC version, like GCC5, and then unconditionally
apply the options. Several years ago Uri advised us to take this
option. I declined it at the time because we did not have the uses
cases. Now that we have use cases and are seeing how things are
breaking, I think we can cast a wider net.

The question is, should we do nothing (option 1) or add the options (option 2)?

Jeff