I don't seem to be able to find information about the next release. Is this
something already planned for?

The latest release appears to be 5.6.5, which was back in November 2016.
This appears to be the version used by package managers (e.g. I use
Home-brew and this is what it installs). The problem I am facing is that
many classes, e.g. ECDSA_RFC6979, are added after version 5.6.5. Although
one can simply download the newest code and compile, it's easier to get the
code from a stable release.

Many thanks.