JPM and I were talking about this recently. He found a link discussing
North Korean crypto:
https://blog.kryptoslogic.com/crypto/2018/07/03/pyongyang.html

With much attention lately over North Korea and its evolving cybersecurity
capabilities, we thought to cover a somewhat related topic. A couple of
years back, the North Korean Red Star OS was described at the Chaos
Computer Club conference. Among other things, they described the
watermarking mechanism used by the OS to keep track of media files.

Along with the OS, three kernel modules were identified that appeared to
contain homemade encryption algorithms specific to Red Star OS. We will
name them after their kernel module names—Jipsam1, Jipsam2, and Pilsung.
The former two are present in Red Star OS 2.0, whereas Pilsung is present
only in Red Star OS 3.0. We are going to take a look at these, and comment
on possible rationales for their design. We will only analyze the
algorithms in isolation, as there is not a lot of information on how (or
if) they are used. To our knowledge, this is the first time these
algorithms are described.