Hi Everyone,

We cutover to feature testing in the GNUMakefile. Also see
https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/pull/737 .

Previously the makefile used toolchain versions. It worked well when
environments were more predictable, like CentOS 5 or OS X 10.5 from around
2007. Nowadays we are seeing modern compilers on older machines and it made
it difficult to get features correct, like when we could compile, assemble
and link a program with SSE4.

The cutover allows us to test the entire toolchain - compile, assemble and
link. PR 737 added a TestPrograms folder with test programs for features
like SSE4, AVX, NEON, ASIMD, POWER7, POWER8, etc. The makefile shell's out
and compiles/links the respective test program. We no longer care about the
toolchain vendor (like GAS) or version (like 2.19) because the program will
build (or not).

CMake can use the same test programs so it should simplify the build
process for both Make-based and CMake-based builds.

The feature-based build system now looks a lot like a simplified Autotools
project. Also see
https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/blob/master/GNUmakefile .

Jeff