> Thanks for both your replies, Jeff.

It's clear (now!) that my initial naive steps were in a bad direction, but
I was coming to the topic 'cold' and there was a great deal to learn and
understand.  Once I got something to work, I stuck with it.  It does work,
and it provides the level of security I need - I was just hoping to avoid
the need to use openssl.

The references you kindly provided (particularly the last) seem like they
will provide a solution, albeit requiring a level of detailed understanding
that I was hoping to avoid...

Cheers,

Phil