On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 3:24 PM Bart Vandewoestyne
<bart.vandewoest...@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK.  I have done some more research and testing.  Here's what I found out so
> far:
>
> On our build server (where the tests do not crash), the test logs tell me:
>
>   hasRDRAND == 0, hasRDSEED == 0
>
> and because of that, apparently the tests are skipped, because in the logs I
> have:
>
>   Testing RDSEED generator...
>
>   RDSEED generator not available, skipping test.
>
> On my laptop, it seems like I have RDRAND and RDSEED available, because in the
> logs I see:
>
>   hasRDRAND == 1, hasRDSEED == 1
>
> and so the test is started:
>
>   Testing RDSEED generator...
>
> but that is the last line in the output, the test crashes somewhere.
>
> Using the VS2015 debugger, i found that the call stack at the moment of the
> crash is:
>
>   cryptest.exe!017e9c80() Unknown
>   cryptest.exe!CryptoPP::RDSEED::GenerateBlock(unsigned char * output,
> unsigned int size) Line 249 C++

I've seen that hang before, but it was present all the time. It did
not happen in isolation, like during redirection.

I wrote it off to a MS toolchain bug and worked around it. Also see
https://github.com/weidai11/cryptopp/commit/b1c691b53a4c.

You should upgrade to Crypto++ 8.3 or above for the fix.

Jeff