With public servers, no matter what you restrict the slot count to, people
can connect to the server using "connect ip" in console. I once had about
50 people in my 20 slot server because a pro player was streaming and
brought a bunch of his twitch followers into so the server. The issue
cannot be corrected by using maxplayers, visible maxplayers, or any of the
other max player cvars.