The Internet Protocol address is assigned by the operating system
contacting the network administration device which is normally a switch,
router, or hub. It checks these devices for a free Internet Protocol
address. And the packets the network sends has a footer and a header with
this IP addressing.

Once you have this IP address you can then pulse the dmz of the router and
pull it's network allocation table. Once this is done you have every Mac
address on the network.

However, with just a pkt sniffer you can go directly to someone's is and
pull their Mac address right out of the network interface cards read only
memory which is stored under the device table for the operating system
which is connected to the internet Protocol address you are using.

Literally, a phone line can be tapped with 0 and 1 about a 1,000-10,000
taps. And your machine will randomly shut off.