I have been trying to avoid using classes here, using direct child selectors instead. Maybe that's ill advised?

It would appear that when I hover 'ul > li > ul' it's also selecting 'ul > li > ul > li > ul'. which I thought it should not. That's the only way I can account for both transitions being started by one hover (though it doesn't explain why they appear to be sequential rather than simultaneous).

You can achieve what you want by using "Structural pseudo-classes"...

See: <https://www.w3.org/TR/2018/PR-selectors-3-20180911/#structural-pseudos>

Check the examples in that page to find what suits the purpose best.

regards
        Georg