thank you ingo! the zoom: 1 declaration seemed to fix it completely. where
did that come from? i will look up layouted boxes and see what i find...
 anyway, if you want to see the before and after versions, i have included
links to examples below. the home_fixed contains the zoom: 1 declaration
inside the style tag in the head at the top of the page.
 before: http://www.hinchliff.us/articles/home.htm
after: http://www.hinchliff.us/articles/home_fixed.htm