That's just the way it's defined. Id's in HTML are comparable to variable
names in programming languages, which generally have similar restrictions.

>From the HTML spec:

  ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z])
  and may be followed by any number of letters, digits
  ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"), underscores ("_"), colons (":"),
  and periods (".").

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-name

Jon