Frank McClung schrieb:
I'm new to CSS, so please forgive these very simple questions.

It's not as simple as mentioned.

> 2. #nextstep and #ebay are correct in Firefox, but the #submast
> background image is still covered up.
Correct the 'ddd' typos: "paddding: 0px;" in your stylesheet. You should validate your files.

1. Having problems in IE getting the boxes on the right to line up in
the right column (#nextstep and #ebay) to line up and #submast to show up.
a) The right margin of the right-float is doubled.
http://positioniseverything.net/explorer/doubled-margin.html
Fix:
#nextstep { ... display:inline; }
#ebay {  ... display:inline;}

b)That's a dilemma in IE6:

- #submast must have a appropriate dimension for its background-image.
- but with this dimension, it will contain the floating childs, and will be expanded by their heights. (Apply a background:red; to see what I mean.) In consequence, the following container is pushed down by the height of the floats, no matter what height was applied to #submast.

Fix: rearrange
and omit the width:
#submast { border: medium none ; margin: 0px; /*width: 800px;*/ height: 94px; background:red url(subtopmast.jpg) no-repeat; }

3. Bottom of the page is cut off in IE.

3. Not entirely sure what's causing this.

#maincontent determines the height of the page, but you have positioned is relatively to its static position. Looks like IE determines the viewport height before the offset of its content.
Fix:
use a 'margin-top' instead of 'top'

#maincontent { border: medium none; margin: 0px; background-image:url(<path>);
/*position: relative;*/ margin-top: 116px;
width: 800px;}

---
Hope that's all what I've changed.

regards, Ingo