> I forgot to mention that the text content of the span will be read
> obviously by screen readers, maybe openedbracketdotdotdotclosedbracket,
> and will appear useless in no-style-view, but this should be easy to
> address with an background-image of an ellipsis instead of a
> text-ellipsis, and a appropriate width for the span. I haven't tried it
> yet, though.
>
> I don't know if link:after-method would give the freedom to float-drop
> and position, but I don't think so.

It is a sexy proposition, but in the end there is no way in CSS to
check the length of the link, which means that the background image
will appear after short links, too...

That is why I keep that to the backend, or, as mentioned earlier, to
JavaScript to deal with this problem.

--
Chris Heilmann
Blog: http://www.wait-till-i.com