I think what I am trying to do should be simple, but.

 

I just want an image floated left so the text that goes along with it is to
the right.  However, I want the image completely inside the div that
contains the text.  I would think, since the image is inside a div that the
div would grow to match the size of the image (after all, it is the
CONTAINING BLOCK) but it just doesn't seem to work that way.

 

You can see what I mean here:  http://tvr.palindromesys.com/article.htm by
scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the page.  The headshot should
be inside the silver box.

 

I guess 'float' confuses me in a broader sense as well.  For example, my
right sidebar on the same page is floated right.  If I have another div (see
the div with the 3px green board towards the top of the page) inside the
same containing block as the sidebar which is not floated, the text plays
nice by respecting the margins of the sidebar.  However, if I am foolish
enough to put a top and/or bottom border on this other div, the borders go
all the way across the page.  Is there a way to tell this other div to stop
at the margins of the floated div?  The only thing I have found that works
is setting the padding on the right side of the div to be greater than the
width of the sidebar, but this seems like a hack to me.

 

TIA,

Chris

______________________________________________________________________
css-discuss [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.css-discuss.org/mailman/listinfo/css-d
List wiki/FAQ -- http://css-discuss.incutio.com/
Supported by evolt.org -- http://www.evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

Reply via email to