At 08:35 PM 7/17/2005, Lst Recv wrote:
If I set properties of a td, such as margin and padding, do they apply
to the td in relation to other cells, or to the text within the td?

It depends -- margins separate an object from adjacent objects, while padding separates the perimeter of an object from children within.

Is there anyway to set the margin, padding, and alignment for all text
*within* a td?

CSS rules naturally inherit inward, so if you declare
        td { color: #00F;}
it will normally color all interior elements blue unless overridden by a higher priority selector: see http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html

If you need to force the point, you can declare:

        td * { color: #00F;}

...the asterisk meaning all descendants of the td.

How do I have two td's, with background colors, appear flush together,
with no line or space in between them (must work in IE5+)?

table { border-collapse: collapse; }
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#borders

Paul