Scott Glasgow wrote:
This brings up a question I have been wondering about. What is the consensus
(if there is a consensus :-) on the best way to provide resizable
(accessible) text while still permitting reasonably consistent layout
without torturous CSS? Font-size keywords? Relative sizes? ...

Extreme caution: there be tigers here.

Search the CSS-Discuss archives (1) and you will find numerous flame wars on the font sizing issue. To avoid repeating same, there's a good bit of reference material in our WIKI (2)(3).

Several methods of using relative sizes work very well and are described at the places mentioned in the WIKI. One recent technique, which I just added to the WIKI (3), is Joe Clark's ZOOM technique which offers multiple style sheets and a preferencer setting mechanism (4).

(1) http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=SearchCssDiscussList
(2) http://css-discuss.incutio.com/
(3) http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=FontSize
(4) http://www.alistapart.com/articles/lowvision