Peter,

It appears that you are trying to achieve a 2 column fluid design with a
header. You would also like the left and right columns to extend to the
bottom of the viewport regardless of the content within the columns. There
are a number of resources that offer free examples of various types of
layouts that will help you learn different methods of achieving your
objective.

A good place to start is the wiki for this list:
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/
You should also study the demos available at
http://www.positioniseverything.net

Two of my favorite resources are:
http://wellstyled.com/css-2col-fluid-layout.html
and