On 29 Sep 2005, at 9:30 am, Bruce Gilbert wrote:

I know no-one (or hardly no-one) uses IE 5 Mac anymore,

Hmm, depending on your audience... I sometimes get up to 40% of Mac users still browsing with IE.
 but I am
trying to at least have my site presentable in that browser (it
currently is not). Right now nothing shows up at all except the outer
div and header graphic. The site is at
http://www.inspired-evolution.com/

and the CSS is http://www.inspired-evolution.com/Gilbert.css

A couple of problems I see:
- you use the * html hack to serve styles to IE Win, I suppose. This creates some problems for IE Mac. IE Mac also reads that selector. If you need those values for IE Win, hide them from IE mac, best dump them all in a special IE Win stylesheet served within conditional comments.

- you have set some 'height' constrains, presumely you want something to strech the full height of the window. At some point, it create problems in that IE Mac (esp things like
* html> body #main_content_home {
        height: 625px !important;
}
Unlike IE win, IE Mac will respect your height setting.

- the header image is floated. There is no reason for it.

- the main problem is the navigation bar at the top (ul#navlist).
        You set the 'white-space' property on the ul.
        You float the <li>, without setting a width [1].
You can solve this easily:
for IE Mac only:
ul#navlist {white-space: normal;}
ul#navlist li {float: none; display: inline-block; width: 1px; white-space: nowrap; text-align: left;}

That should bring the browser much more inline with others.

PS - you're mixing pixel defined values for width with em defined values (also for margin-left), this gives strange effects when you start zooming in a little, something I'd have to do if I actually were to read your site.

[1] <http://www.l-c-n.com/IE5tests/float2misc/#flwidth>


Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com/>

______________________________________________________________________
css-discuss [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.css-discuss.org/mailman/listinfo/css-d
List wiki/FAQ -- http://css-discuss.incutio.com/
Supported by evolt.org -- http://www.evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

Reply via email to