In theory, Javascript is great. But over the last year my company has
actually started avoiding javascripted menus because of the problems that
are inherent in client-based code.
 When a browser can't handle javascript, the results can be an unreachable
site; the worse thing that happens when a CSS dropdown menu fails is that
you simply don't get the dropdown part, but the main menu still displays
fine. Or worst case scenario, someone see the lists expanded. Not pretty,
but usable.
 Javascripted dropdown menus (often heavy in table structure), can cause
unacceptable performance problems in CMS systems that pull navigation
structure form a database. There's simply too much code on the page. Which
is why we've stopped using javascript and gone to the sparse HTML markup
styled with CSS. The performance gains have been tremendous.
 -- Carmen