> Is there any possible way to make line breaks before closed tags actually
> create a line break?

This might well do the trick. Do a global search and replace of your web pages.

Find:

Replace:

The space character ensures that there is some content after the <br>.
I've made a habbit of using it whenever using a <br> in places like you
are. I recall reading this long ago in some book or web site.

Using <br>s like this (either with or without the space character) is an
older (presentational) markup method that I try to avoid these days. Using

Larry