David Laakso wrote, in part,

        ... try Georg's method with a red background-color
        and a 3px solid border.  #BDB76B for the border and
        the letter will yield something on the order of a
        goldleaf  /initial/ drop-cap. One can never have
        enough illumunated manuscripts...

Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion and the specifics on the color!

I'd actually experimented originally with a border for the drop-caps,
thinking about the same idea, but somehow I'd never managed to get something
I really liked, and I eventually gave up on the border.  I may experiment
some more.

Thanks again!

Charles