Nick Fitzsimons wrote:
> I personally find it useful to specify a font size of 62.5% on the
> body, giving me a default size for 1em of 10 pixels. If I then want a
>  heading at 14 pixels, I can specify 1.4em.

Yes, it's a simple calculation - although not too precise across
browser-land.

However, keep in mind that the 62.5% base may result in very, very,
large fonts if a user apply 'min-font-size'[1] in their browser. No one
set 'min-font-size' to as low a value as 10px (if they set it at all).

For example: I use 'min-font-size' of 14px in all browsers that support
it. The result in Opera and Firefox will be 1.4em based on root:14px,
and that's a pretty readable size.
Make sure layouts don't break under the stress, and people like me, with
less than perfect eye-sight, will be quite happy with it.

So, test with ordinary browser-options before releasing layouts that
rely on such calculations, as nothing is set in stone across the web.
I always test with 'min-font-size' at 28px, just to make sure...

regards
        Georg

[1]http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_1_03_04.html
--