Hi:

In the good-old just-html days, if you had an ordered list going and
wanted to interrupt it for a graphic, you could start it up again
without losing count by using a "start=" attribute, such as:

<ol>
    <li>
       This is my first item.
    </li>
</ol>

This is a graphic.

<ol start=2>
    <li>
       This is my second item.
    </li>

and so on.

However, the "start=" attribute has been depreciated in favor of the
"counter-reset" and "counter-increment" properties, as described:

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/generate.html#propdef-counter-reset

However, I'm lost trying to figure out what that's all about.

Does anyone have a simple example that works for the type of problem
I described above?

And, for sake of argument, what was the reason for changing this easy
to apply/understand attribute to something that isn't? I can
understand trying to separate presentation from content, but this
seems a bit counter-productive, doesn't it? Or, am I missing
something?

Thanks for your interest and reply.

tedd