> > I played around with the code, and was somewhat shocked to find this
> > solution:
> >
> > ul { display: inline; }
> >
> > Aren't lists always displayed inline? No matter, it fixes your IE6/Win
> > problems. I haven't tested on a Mac though, but I would image/hope it
> > would have no effect.
> >

>No, lists (ol, ul and dl) are defined as block level elements. Check the
>HTML 4 DTD:
><http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/sgml/dtd.html>

This does solve the IE problem, but doesn't solve the Safari issues. It
=is= true that we have an element in the left navbar that exceeds the width
defined for it. I'm going to follow up the earlier suggestion to rethink
the coding for those elements and see if that resolves the issue.

In a worst case, we're changing the sidebar element in about two weeks and
can pay attention to width issues this time around.

ari