Tod,

Georg has provided you with some good information, and I agree with him that in
order to help you, we'll need to see the page.

From: "CJ Larson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>[If I got that wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me!]  :D

Okay - I sure would like to put this misconception to rest.

According to Microsoft[1], if I am reading correctly (and ignoring HTML
versions before HTML4), IE6 is in quirks rendering mode (they call it
"compatibiliity-mode") ONLY when there is no "URL" present in HTML4
Transitional and Frameset doctypes (in other words when the doctype is
incomplete and there is no system identifier). (The MSDN page does not mention
HTML4.01, the current W3C recommendation, but I have found that, for box model
issues at least, as long as there is a complete doctype, IE6 will be in
standards mode.)

We also know that IE6 is in quirks mode when an xml declaration, or anything
for that matter, precedes the doctype, regardless of how complete the doctype
is.

So, if you'll write /complete/ doctypes, of the type currently recommended by
the W3C[2] for HTML4.01 or XHTML1.0, and if you'll heed the information
regarding the xml declaration or other things preceding the doctype, then IE6
will render in "standards-compliant" mode, at least as far as the Box Model
[3,4] is concerned.

This has been a public service(?) announcement.

~holly

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp
[2] http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html