>> http://www2.csulb.edu/colleges/cota/test5.html
>
> I did try it in IE and Mozilla before I replied previously, and it's
> still margin collapsing that is causing what you see. The not-zeroed
> margin on the H1 element (as Theirry has pointed out)  in the right
> column is "escaping" from the border-less/padding-less div container
> and creating the margin you are noticing between the text before the
> div, and the div itself. Zero the top margin on the H1 and the space
> will disappear.
>
> h1 {margin-top: 0;}

Ahhh, I think I'm getting it.  So, the H1 is always 30px away from the
text, it's just bringing the container down with it, which is
essentially bringing the floated left column down, as well.  I would
have thought that the left column would have had more "authority" as it
doesn't have margin-top applied to it so it wouldn't be brought down
with the container, or at least, push it back up there, but I guess not.

However, like I've noticed and like you mentioned, if the container has
any containing properties (border or padding), it will instead calculate
the margin relative from the border or padding.  Is there any other way
that you know of to create any other containing properties that will not
allow the margin to escape from the container?  On my real site, I
cannot put a border or padding on that container.

Thanks!
Mike