Martin Heiden wrote:

> If you have too many rules, you can add page level external css-files.

Personally, I cannot see the purpose in having page-level external files
in addition to shared group-wide or site-wide files, except for one
thing: media types. If you link to external style sheets you can
reliably use media types.

If media type is not an issue in the situation, I would put the
page-specific rules into the head of the document. This is quite
appropriate within the intent of CSS, in my opinion, and makes finding
the relevant CSS much easier.

You should only use external CSS when the rules are for sharing with
other pages, IMHO. Otherwise you are adding inconvenience without
gaining any corresponding benefit, and it means an extra server hit for
each page viewed - completely contrary to all the normal advantages of
using external files.

Keeping the rules within the document allows you to use sensible global
naming conventions within each page like...

#content

...and provide unique layout values without needing to apply unique IDs
to the BODY tag or similar strategies, which can be a real pain in the
butt to administer across large sites.

Another reason to be careful about over-centralising CSS is testing: we
had a situation on a very large corporate JSP-based site where the whole
site was being made-over to a new look across several months. Chunks
went through unit and functional testing and were then staged for final
production use. Before we realised the risks, we had a couple of
situations where later changes to the shared CSS caused layout of pages
that had already been through testing to break.

This was extremely serious, because testing was about 40% of the work on
each page, and retesting everything would have added weeks or months to
the project.

We had to split CSS up so that each chunk that went through testing
would not be affected by later changes to the CSS, but within these
chunks you could still have problems. CSS seems to be almost unique in
introducing risks on this scale on large workflows.

HTH

Cheers

Ian

PS - I second the sentiment of others that if you have thousands of
lines of CSS in any single file, something has gone wrong almost by
definition.

zStudio - Web development and accessibility
http://zStudio.co.uk

Snippetz.net - Online code library
File, manage and re-use your code snippets & links
http://snippetz.net