Interesting what IE does, though I don't know why.  Well, you can get
the effect you're looking for in Fx by adding
after the last DIV with your word-definition-link, i.e.

        Anyway, I think this wouldn't be any good.  Since most likely what you
want to achieve is the words/links width, you may as well try something
a little bit simplier, and that's to change a little the HTML structure
and the CSS such as (example: letter "B"):

       .main_square A {
         float: left;
         width: 20%;
       }
       .main_square BR {
         clear: left;
       }

        I've tried in Fx 1.5.0.1, Opera 9-prev2 & IE6 and it seems to work just
as expected, so give it a try.

--
Atentamente,
J. Rafael Salazar MagaƱa