[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Is there anyway to use CMS-generated IDs with CSS? For example,
> Weblogic gives me something like:
>
> wlw-select_key:{actionForm.prepaymentPenaltyTypeI} .
>
> Unfortunately, setting the IDs myself isn't an option. Weblogic overwrites
> them. So, short of writing a JavaScript to take all these CMS IDs and
> assigning valid ones, is there anything else I can do?

The HTML 4.01 specification [1] states:

'ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be
followed by any number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"),
underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods (".").'

Therefore, Weblogic is, for you, generating markup that breaches the W3C
specs by including the characters "{" and "}" in id attributes.

If this is coming out of Weblogic because of the way somebody within
your organization has set the system up then raise the matter internally
(i.e. beat them about the head with the cluesheet, or escalate it as an
internal bug report); if, OTOH, this is something Weblogic does of its
own volition, castigate BEA by raising it as a bug report with them.

Given that the product page at BEA [2] states that, with Weblogic, they
"enable enterprises to achieve faster time-to-value for critical
business applications using *open standards*" (my emphasis), I think you
may find the culprit in-house and, given that standards compliance may
have been part of the business case for buying in the Weblogic system,
you could have a solid case aginst them for having broken something your
organisation has paid a lot of money for through their own cluelessness
(a word which in this context is semantically equivalent to incompetence).

FWIW, I was mildly freaked out a few months ago when I first came across
a CMS that generated IDs with colons (:) in them, until I looked at [1]
and found they _were_ OK. The braces ({}) you are getting there are as
wrong as wrong can be.

(I just hope people's email clients don't mistake the (bracketed) stuff
in the previous paragraph for smileys; the images displayed could be
horrendous...)

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#type-id>
[2]
<http://www.bea.com/framework.jsp?CNT=index.htm&FP=/content/products/weblogic>