Guys, thanks for the suggestions...

The problem with clear: left; used in the main content area is that
it not only clears the image, but also the bottom of the search box
in the left-had column!  So I guess the question then becomes can I
stop the interaction between the floated elements in the left column
and the clearing elements in the main content area?

Peter.

Basic layout: http://design.open.ac.uk/individual_pages/jeff_johnson/
people_jeff_johnson.htm