> > the example i linked to doesn't do this?
>
> No, not precisely. In that example, the footer  is positioned "bottom:
> 0px" and has a fixed height. On my page, the footer also sticks to the
> bottom, but doesn't have a fixed height; instead, the top edge of the
> footer is at a fixed distance from the top.
>
> Maybe I better try to solve the problem by defining "overflow: scroll"
> on the blue box.

perhaps looking at it a different way will work.  :)  i'm sure you've
seen people using negative margins to code columns, but have you tried
negative margins with your footer?  you might wonder "why bother" with
negative margins when you could just position things abolutely, but
the advantage is that your footer can take up all of the bottom space,
which i *think* is what you want.  works just fine in ff1.5,
opera8.52, and ie6.

http://sltclan.com/images/cj/css-d/scrolling-content.html

hopefully i understood you right this time.  <crosses fingers>