[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> We are looking to implement a three column layout, with the center section
> containing a tabbed index...
>
> The problem, being that since we are a government web site, we must be
> Section 508 compliant, and those tabs just are not...
>
> Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go or what to do?

Here's the approach I would take.

Mark up each section semantically. Provide some basic styling, but at
this point the sections would be vertically stacked, not tabbed.

When loading the document, use javascript to load an additional
stylesheet which formats the sections into the tabbed look and feel. Use
the javascript you mentioned to facilitate the tab clicks, but add some
code to the event handler to register a cookie tracking the currently
selected tab. You can either check for this cookie on the server side
when rendering the page or use client-side javascript to check for the
active tab when rendering the page.

This way, users without javascript will receive a basically formatted,
vertically stacked list of sections. Users with javascript will receive
the tabbed sections. The cookie will ensure that on reload, the current
tab is "sticky".

The only possible problem here is if cookies are disabled on the client
but javascript is enabled. If this is the case, the current tab will no
longer be sticky. There are some possible workarounds here (hidden
forms, maybe, some AJAX solution, perhaps...) but they're all a bit more
complex.

In addition, instead of toggling display none, you may wish to toggle
between "position:static" and "position:absolute;left:-50000px" or
something like that. This has the added bonus of possibly removing an
annoying screen flicker in older versions of Gecko.

Hope this helps,
david