Zoe M. Gillenwater wrote:
> Aaron Seelye wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to vertically align a div when the height is unknown (as the
>> subject alluded to), and all the examples I've found deal with a static
>> height div.  Even pointing me at a site that does this and I can backtrack
>> what was done is fine, but I'm just at a loss currently, and would
>> appreciate any insight anyone could lend.
>>

> Vertically align the div in relation to what?  Another div?  The
> viewport?  Align the tops vertically or the centers vertically?  Etc.

Inside a generic container. Something that's been done for decades in
print media (go page through a magazine). Something that was perfectly
possible using table-based layouts (valign="middle"). Something that is
hair-pullingly difficult using CSS (
http://www.jakpsatweb.cz/css/css-vertical-center-solution.html ).

david