> #footer a:link {
>    background-color : transparent;
>    color : #ffffff;
> }

> I use the W3C CSS Validation and it gives the warning;
>
> Line : 211 (Level : 1) You have no background-color with your color :
> #footer a:link
>
> And yet there is a background-color, it's just transparent. I understand
> that it is only a warning, but does the validator not recognize
> transparent as a color?

Transparent isn't a color, it is the lack of one.

What if the user stylesheet had something like this in it:

#footer { background-color: #ffffff ; color: #000000; }

There wouldn't be any problems for text directly in the footer, but
the links would be unreadable. So the validator warns you of the
danger.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk><http://blog.dorward.me.uk>