Thanks to all who pointed this out. I thought I'd read everything at PiE!

-= Skip =-

Skip Knox
Boise State University
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Skip wrote:

> This appears to be an exotic HTML issue, but I strongly
> suspect it's related to CSS, so I'm posting the question here.
>
> This problem only appears in IE (tested in 6) and not in
> Firefox. It was sent to me by a client who can't figure out
> why the content area is popping out below the left menu. Oh,
> that's an easy one, right?
>
> Here's a copy of the page:
> http://tutoring.boisestate.edu/Workshops/Reading/skiptest.shtml
>

> The problem resides in line 96. It's just a plain paragraph
> with an italicized phrase. Comment the paragraph out and the
> page works fine. But it's even weirder. The *specific*
> problem is in the phrase:
> "Your Guide to College Success."

> I hereby consult the Collective Wisdom.

Skip-

It appears to be the not so exotic IE Italic bug [0].

IE does weird stuff with italic text and its overflowing the width of
the container, causing the container to drop.

Ron

[0] http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer/italicbug-ie.html