Hi all,

I thought I understood absolute and relative positioning pretty well,
but I've hit upon either a bug in Firefox and Safari (unlikely) or a
bug in IE6 (likely) and/or gaps in my knowledge about this subject
(also likely). Please have a look at the following two documents:

http://jeroencoumans.nl/test/border.html
http://jeroencoumans.nl/test/no-border.html

In short: the body is relatively positioned, and in it are three
divs: #content, #left and #right. The latter two are absolutely
positioned to the top and to the left resp. right.

Strangely enough, when the relatively positioned element *doesn't*
have a border, the absoluteley positioned elements are positioned
*relative* to the non-positioned element! The no-border.html
demonstrates this: only #content has a top margin, yet both #left and
#right start at the same margin. And even more dubiously, Internet
Explorer seems to do the correct thing - the positioning shouldn't be
affected by the presence of a border, so both files should be
rendered the same. At least, that's what I thought.

Does anybody have an idea what's going on? Thanks,

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Jeroen Coumans