I was hoping someone here might be able to give me an alternate idea for
this situation.

I'm using the Son of Suckerfish dropdowns on a client's site  (I can't post
the link, as I'm a subcontractor, and I have an NDA - so I'll do my best to
describe the issue at hand!).  The issue is this:  The client is a
search-and-rescue supplier.  They offer up the stuff fire departments,
police, etc. use for hazardous missions at a fairly cheap price.  They way
they get these items is mostly "overstocks" elsewhere, so their selection is
constantly changing via a database (a database that *they* handle).

They have the dropdown menu at the left of the screen, with hover links to
expand the submenus.  The thing is, some of the lists get *really* long, and
when you hover over a menu selection, the dropdown will fall below the
viewable area of the screen (I'm on 1280 x 1024 - and it even does it to
me - I can't imagine what's being cut off from view to someone using
800x600.)

The length of these dropdowns is unknown - like I said, it's handled by a
database, and the text links are automatically called in and added to  (or
deleted from) the lists as the database is updated.  So rearranging the menu
items so the longest is at the top isn't an option.  We've already talked
with the client about possibly subcategorizing the dropdowns (so it's
2-level, instead of 1) but they say it's too difficult to do with the
database (in other words, they don't want anyone but them touching the
database, and they don't know how to do what we think would work!)

The idea of "top justifying" the menu wuth the dropdown has come up - but if
the list is too long, we'll just have the same issue, only at the top of the
screen instead of the bottom.  They also do not want to have the list a top
menu instead of a sidebar.

So, has anyone had experience with this?  Could someone give me some ideas
on how to change this a bit so we don't have to start from scratch?  Maybe -
would there be a way to have the submenus come out "onclick" instead of
:hover?  That way people could scroll down the list as needed?  I'm at a
loss here, and I'd really appreciate any input you all could pass along.
(And in the meantime, I'll see if I can't snag the menu and post it
somewhere so you can have a better idea of what I'm looking at - or at least
a screenshot!)

Thanks again -

~Shelly