Rizky wrote:
> correct me if i'm wrong, but semantics are science for writing
> right? so i don't think there's a markup for volume, tone of voice,
> or something similar.

I am not a semanticist, so I cannot correct you. Probably you are right.

Zoe M. Gillenwater wrote:
> In the context of web development, semantic markup means using the
> most meaningful (X)HTML element to mark up a piece of content as
> possible, given the constraints of the (X)HTML vocabulary, where the
> meaning of the element matches the meaning of the content. So yes,
> there are no specific (X)HTML elements for volume, tone of voice,
> etc, but the idea is to use the elements that come closest to
> matching these pieces of content as possible.
>
> However, semantic markup, by itself, is off-topic for this list. If
> one was to ask "What would be a good way to mark this up and style it
> so that it would look like such and such? Keep in mind that I care
> about semantic markup." that might be ok. Straight markup questions
> are not.

Wait, Scott originally asked
> I need to display a volume bar and indicate the current level on a
> page. I was hoping to implement this using CSS alone, and was
> wondering if anyone had done something similar, and had some ideas.

and correct me if there are more ways to interpret Scott's question; I
read it as a CSS question. And my attempt which was snipped for no
obvious reason was a CSS answer.

I see a relationship between a new proposal how to style a volume
control and the question what would be the appropriate markup for it to
put the styles on: Since I am not a designer, markup is a question I
have to solve until I can apply style, because /I do not know/ how to
solve for Scott's problem, the question was new to me. What would be
your answer, to help Scott?

For the markup, I decided to go for a definition list, and my question
> What would be the semantically correct representation of a volume
> control, a definition list?
could be read as a moment of uncertainty.

Others who show some uncertainty about their results do get answers and
comments on this list regularly, sometimes by me.

Ingo

--
http://www.satzansatz.de/css.html