The difference between your version and mine is the doctype

http://ee.berkshireradio.org/test_strict.html
http://ee.berkshireradio.org/test_transitional.html

Sorry about the moving target - I should have added the css to the
test file I originally made.

I spent much of my day working on this and found several references
to a lack of support for vertical padding on inline elements in
Safari - but no solutions.

-Christy
(who is now going to stop being such a wimp and change her doctype to
strict)