I have DIV within a DIV that is hidden until a user clicks a javascript link to
make it visible.

(<a href="javascript:togglePromoWindow()">I have a promo code</a>)
 Some form

Css is:

#promoEnterPromoCode {
  display: block;
  position: relative;
  margin-left: 0px
}

  #enterPromoBlk  {
        position: absolute;
      top: 10px;
      left: 10px;
        width: 400px;
        padding: 10px;
        background-color: #eee;
        visibility: hidden;
        z-index: 5000;
        border: 1px solid #666;
  }

Now in firefox and safari this works fine. In IE, the "enterPromoBlk" div
looses any z-index value as long as the position: relative is in
"promoEnterPromoCode". The inner div shows up behind in the other elements on
the page, making it very hard to see no matter what the z-index is set to. If I
remove the position: relative, IE shows the element fine, yet it shows absolute
to the viewport instead - way far away from where it needs to be. Any ideas?