Eoin Maguire wrote:
> [...]

> I am not happy with using positioning instead of floats, but now that
>  I think about it I amn't sure *why* exactly I have a preference for
> floating as a layout method.

> Anyone got good reasons for using one over the other or have I just
> picked up an irrational dislike for positioned layouts?

I think we have rational reasons for preferring floats for main parts of
layouts :-)

<short list>

Scaling and footers - font-resizing and/or changing amount of content
across multiple columns:
- we can clear scaling 'floats'.
- we can't clear scaling 'a.p.'.

Fluid page-width and varying window-width:
- 'floats' can auto-linearize (those float-drops that some don't like)
- 'a.p.' can't auto-linearize.

Element-overlapping:
- other elements do interact with 'floats', so overlapping can be prevented.
- other elements don't interact with 'a.p.', so overlapping can't be
prevented.

</short list>

Personal experience:

It is very easy to apply 'absolute positioning', but it's very hard to
make layouts with any degree of complexity work well with 'a.p.'.

It is sometimes hard to apply 'float-methods' for layouts with any
degree of complexity, but once 'floats' work they tend to work well.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no