Erik Gyepes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Niklas Kanthak wrote:
>
>> Don't use PNG for images, only GIFs or JPGs.
>>

> I'm just curious, why not to use PNG's. You mean PNG's in general, or
> only transparent PNG's? Because I like this format much more than GIF's
> or JPG's for it's better quality. I know that IE doesn't support
> transparent PNG's but support of "normal" PNG's is okay, or have I
> missed something?

One thing to be aware of is PNG color-shifting in IE. If you try to use
a non-transparent PNG with non-square edges and "fill in" the background
color, then place it inside a region with a CSS background-color, they
may not match up exactly, even with supposedly the same hex values. Even
when opening the PNG in Photoshop, it will show the PNG as having the
correct hex value. In these circumstances, it's best just to use a 10x10
pixel flat color PNG as your background-image for the container region.
Don't use smaller tiles than 10x10 (i generally go for at least 20x20
myself) as this puts a lot of strain on the client and you may get
strange rendering glitches, especially on older machines.

Of course, similar problems arise with JPEGs, especially when saved at
low-quality, but at least with JPEGs you can validate the hex value
shift in Photoshop.

david