On Jun 15, 2006, at 1:44 PM, Brendan Grossman wrote:

> Is it possible to have floating divs side-by-side without the width
> specified or with just one set explicitly?
>
> For example I have two columns...
>
> Left hand side I want to set explicity, ie. 15em
>
> Right hand side, I want it to fill up the remaining area of the page.
>
> However when doing this, the right drops below the left div.
>
> Here's sample code I'm using...
>
> #left {
>   float: left;
>   width: 15em;
> }
>
> #right {
>   float: left;
> }

That is problematic.

What is the content in <div id="right"> ?
when no width is specified, the width of that div *may* shrink wrap
to the width of the content. Or *may* expand to the full width of the
parent box. Depending on the contents

And not all UA will work the same.

This is a nice technique to achieve, what I think is what you try to do:
<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/negativemargins/>

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh