I'm in need of layout assistance. I have a layout that I can only see
being able to layout using tables. It's 3 equal height columns, which
normally don't use tables for...

The left and right column ultimately have vertical boxes that span
the entire height of the column. Say 3 boxes in the left col, 4 in
the right with a 1px margin between the boxes (not yet shown in test).

The center column has a top image and then boxes that fill the area
below the image. I've tried this with divs and have been able to get
it 'almost right' on most browsers but I need it pixel perfect.

My test is at:

http://modernflow.com/tests/table_test.html

Right now the layout is in tables (ugly, but it does the trick sort
of). I read through the internet and found that setting 100% height
on parent elements allows the table to go 100% high. This is working
except the first row is taller than expected. I have an image 234px
high that goes in the center column. I can't get the row to be 234px
high. I've been reading the CSS2 spec and have learned quite a bit
about the rendering model in CSS2. However, I can't seem to solve
this one cross-browser.

I've tried min-height, height, max-height...

Can anyone help?