On 7/5/06, Christina Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks, Riva.
> I tried line-height: 14px and 2.5em in the li and a classifiers under
> #navlist.
> Both give me the same result as if I'd didn't have it.
>
> Also, why is the rollover effect I want working in FF but not IE?

<snip/>

> #navlist ul{margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none;}
>
> #navlist li{margin: 0; list-style-type: none; line-height:14px;}
>
> #navlist a {
> display: block; padding: 2px 0 0 10px; margin:0; color:#FFFFFF;}
>
> #navlist a:link, #navlist a:active, #navlist a:visited {
> color:#FFFFFF; text-decoration:none;}
>
> #navlist a:hover {color:#000000;
> background-color:#FFFFFF;
> filter:alpha(opacity=75);
> -moz-opacity:.25;
> opacity:.25;
> }

Hi, Christina,

I haven't tested this, but from what you are describing, this sounds
like a "hasLayout" issue in IE. Basically, IE feels most comfortable
when it has defined dimensions (or "zoom") on items that are
misbehaving. In this case, I'd suggest giving the LI's width: 100%. As
long as the LI doesn't have padding, the width value won't change the
presentation, but it will give IE a dimension to hang onto. (You may
want to zero out the padding on the LI to be certain -- different
browsers use different dimensions.)

You might want to do something similar on the links, but you will need
to provide different rules for different browsers. Using a width of
175px is going to make it shrink in IE 5.x because of how they define
dimensions, so using one of the box model hacks[1] would let you
define 185px for the older IE's, and 175px for everyone else.

HTH,

Michael

[1] http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=BoxModelHack