Marlene T. Yogerst wrote:

[on problems caused by absolute positioning]
> It's nearly the same.  I tried using relative positioning, but
> that put all the divs all over the page.  I'm just not getting
> the relative positioning.  I know, I need to study it more!

No, relative positioning is not an alternative for absolute
positioning.
What you need to start with, is no positioning at all.
Then you will see that divs grow when they have more content.
Then, you may want to bring some structure into the page, by
floating a few elements.
And then... you will run into things you want and ask here, and
then we'll most likely have answers that are easy to understand
and implement :-)

Just remember: don't use absolute or relative positioning, until
you've mastered normal styles and floats and clears.

> I also don't understand why absolute positioning is fragile.

Because it leaves no room for movement in the page.

> It seems pretty cut and dried to me and I haven't had problems
> with it on a different site I made.

I'm curious to see that site - does it remain looking as it
should in Firefox when you enlarge the font-size?

> Thanks again for your help.
>
> marlene (whose brain drain is still in effect)

Depending on where you are, that could also be caused by the heat
;-)

--
Els
http://locusmeus.com/