>Looking at that Wiki entry, option 2 suggests using the inline-table
>property. My memory may be faulty, but I seem to recall that this
>recommendation was changed to inline-block as a more cross-browser
>solution (for IE 7 perhaps?)
>
>I don't have a reference for this, so perhaps some kind member will
>confirm or deny this?

Well, hopefully Big John will stumble upon this thread and tell us
what's what, but in the meantime I'll have a stab (and no doubt get
things all wrong).

I think you have it backwards.

Option 2 on the ClearingSpace page of the wiki (ie. PIE's
EasyClearing) originally used inline-block to conquer Mac IE.[0]
Subsequently inline-block became inline-table.

Why? inline-block does not validate as CSS2 whereas inline-table does.

I think that's why the technique substituted inline-table for
inline-block, to prevent cries of "but it's not valid CSS' since the
W3 CSS validator checks against CSS2.

However it should be noted:

1. I've found that inline-table often doesn't work or has crazy
side-effects in IE Mac 5. Unfortuantely I have never made test cases
of this so I can't prove it but inline-block always did the trick for
me.

2. The fact that W3 states that CSS2.1 is the current working version
(ie supercedes CSS2 - http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/#specs) raises the
issue of why on earth the validator checks against CSS2 by default,
and makes it arguable that inline-block is not invalid at all (it is
valid CSS2.1), but just appears to be so if you don't understand the
W3's validator. That however is going off into a whole can of worms
which has no place on this list but which would be better address to
the W3's own list.

[0] In fact if you look further down the page you'll note references
to other side effects of using inline-block that act as a fossilised
reminder of the article's past...