On Jul 31, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Michael Landis wrote:

> On 7/28/06, Michael Boudreau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> http://mss.uchicago.edu/MRB/citation_example.html:
>
>> I've got a layout with an absolutely positioned <span> inside a
>> relatively positioned <p> that works perfectly in every browser
>> except IE (6 and 7b2). The usual approach to this problem--making
>> sure the relatively positioned element has layout--doesn't seem to
>> work.
>>
>> Here's a sample:
>>
>> div.example p.cite_N {
>>    margin-left: 3em;
>>    position: relative;
>>    text-indent: 1em;
>> }
>> .cite_N .label {
>>    position: absolute; left: -3em;
>> }
>
> Hi, Michael,
>
> It looks like IE is having issues with trying to juggle the
> text-indent along with the positioning and the margin. I found that
> replacing the margin-left: 3em with padding-left: 3em, setting the
> label's left position to zero, and then giving the paragraph layout,
> seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for this, Michael. Is replacing margins with padding a
technique that solves other problems too? I was trying different
positioning and floating options myself without much luck, and it
felt pretty random, so I'm wondering if I can draw any kind of
generalized technique from your solution.

In the meantime, I also tried the <dl> approach, which works:

   <dl>
     <dt>N:</dt>
     <dd>Guy Cowlishaw and Robin Dunbar, <i>Primate Conservation
Biology</i>
         (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000), 104&#8211;7.</dd>
   </dl>

Float the <dt> left, and it appears to begin on the same line as the
<dd> text, which can then be formatted as a regular or hanging indent
in the usual way. I prefer the <p> markup for its clarity, but the
<dl> approach doesn't require IE-specific hacks.

Michael R. Boudreau
Senior Electronic Publishing Developer
The University of Chicago Press
1427 E. 60th Street