Hi David,

david wrote:

> Bill Walton wrote:
>
>> My solution so far is to use a scanned image of the paper form as
>> background.  That way the user can turn on background printing if
>> they're going to print to blank paper, or turn it off if they're
>> going to print to a preprinted form.
>>
>> This solution is working ok for page one of the printed form.
>>
>> Now I need to add page two of the printed form.  I would like to be
>> able to print all the pages of the form with one print command.  But
>> I don't seem to be able to add a second background image.
>
> Hmmm, how about having your server generate a PDF file on the fly
> and serve that back to the visitor? I'm guessing that the point of all
> this
> is to provide the visitor with a printable form which they then print
> and sign <snip>?

Yes, at least this part of the saga is about printing ;-)

Putting it in a PDF would make it possible to do a multi-page print.  That's
goodness.  On the other hand, it could add additional steps and some
additional wait time for the visitor, and to satisfy the requirement to
print the laid-out content with or without the background form it seems like
I'd have to add a step where the visitor explicitly states how they want to
lay it out, or just generate and send 2 PDF's, or generate and send one PDF
with double the number of pages.  I'd really like to be able to just select
'Print' from the browser's File menu.

Is there not a way to use CSS to position two large background images such
that they'll print on seperate pages?

Thanks,
Bill