Chris Akins wrote:
in regards to www.springfieldmogov.org/founders/newContent.html
<http://www.springfieldmogov.org/founders/newContent.html>
> Not sure when you reviewed the page

One minute before I wrote to the list. :-)

> 'cause I've been editing it live since I posted, but it's actually
> working much better now than it was.  It was dropping the float even
> at much wider window sizes UNTIL I changed the h1,h2 rule by taking
> out width:65% and adding margin-right:325px
>
> That's now a head scratcher.  Don't have any idea why IE doesn't like
> the 65% width on the h1, h2 tags.  But it didn't.

I'm sure that none of the browsers did -- it's just that when something
is too big to fit in other browsers, it overflows, but in IE, it pushes
out the container. Also, IE can incorrectly calculate percentage widths
and margins when the container doesn't have a width itself. I'm not sure
exactly what IE bug was causing the problem since you've now changed
your page. If you're interested in learning why the bugs happen, it's
best to leave your page untouched while the list members play with it.
If you want to keep working on the page, I recommend starting a new
version of it. This also ensures that list members don't waste their
time trying to fix a page that you've already fixed. If you've fixed
something, please post to the list to let us all know. Thanks. :-)

I also recommend not settings widths on headers, as you've seen. Set
widths on as few elements as possible. If you can let an element inherit
its width from its parent, do so.

> Now my issue is that the floated column isn't regarding my 190px width
> - just in IE again.  Don't have a clue as to why.

You mean the right column? It's the same width in IE and FF right now.
Looks like you've fixed this too. :-)

By the way, please be sure to trim out all text from the old messages to
which you are not directly replying. Then place your reply above
(discouraged) or below (strongly encouraged) the text you are replying
to. Thanks!

Zoe

--
Zoe M. Gillenwater